Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Hacking a Binatone Careera X430

Well, I'm the proud owner of a cheap GPS.... but the software it came with didn't particularly excite me as I couldn't use it for my 4x4 trips.

The unit is actually a Windows CE device, but you are locked out from accessing it....

So after a little searching I found that if I simply copied my explorer.exe from my XP windows directory to a SD card and restarted the unit, it would come up with that by default..!  This then lets you launch other programs or edit the contents on the unit etc.   Word of warning, make sure you backup the internal ROM before you go playing with anything.

From there it was easy to simply add other navigator software and just double click to launch it.. nice huh.!

The sad thing is that the opensource stuff didn't seem to work.. DOH...

I'm going to play around with a bunch of apps like oziexplorer and see how it all goes...

Going to be awesome having a $200 GPS that does offroad as well as turn by turn onroad..!

Matt

No comments: